Monday, February 07, 2011

Book Review: Lady in Waiting




I received the book Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner to review a couple of weeks ago. Knowing that I was leaving for Hawaii in a couple of days, I regretfully just put it right into my carry on bag so I would have something to read by the pool. OMG! I wish I hadn't saved it! It was so so good! I loved that it intertwined the modern day story of Jane Lindsay and her struggles with her marriage, and the classic Tudor story of Lady Jane Grey. This is a somewhat Christian book, but it didn't have overt themes at all.

The story about Jane Lindsay and her troubled marriage is something that I think just about everyone can relate to. Nobody's marriage is perfect, everyone has doubts at some point or another. Marriage is really hard work and you can't be lazy about it. Jane learned that--she not only learned how to fix her marriage, but how to fix herself.

I've always been a sucker for books that take place in England, so of course I loved that parts about Lady Jane. It was fascinating to read about the Tudor period. I loved reading about the different fashions and the way things were done back then. While I would never want to live in that period, I still love reading about it. I loved reading about Lady Jane grow up and realize that while she thought her whole life had been decided for her, she had been making decisions the whole time--she was in charge of her own fate.

I highly recommend this book. I read it in about 3 days by the pool. It was a light quick read. It was really wonderful! Click here to read chapter one.

And for the FTC I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

1 comment:

Miss Tustall said...

Sounds like a wonderful book I will definitely look for it. I have been looking for a good book for a while. btw I am a cancer survivor as well <3