Monday, October 26, 2009

Book Review: The Well Behaved Child

I love reading. I typically pick some kind of fiction, but every now and then will pick up a non-fiction book. I was chosen to give my first ever book review! My kids are typically pretty good kids. They fight with each other, don't pick up unless I threaten them, and are occasionally bad. But overall they are great kids. So I chose The Well Behaved Child Discipline that REALLY works! to see if I could learn anything new to try.

I'll be honest, this book started out pretty crazy. One of the first things the author, John Rosemond, states is that ALL kids are bad. I simply don't agree with that. There are of course some kids who really are bad kids, but there are way too many kids who are good kids. But I plowed through that insane part and I am so glad I did! There were some excellent ideas.

I've already tried one and so far, it is working! TJ has been sleeping in either Tim's or my (although it's 99% Tim) bed most nights of the week. He has a "tummy ache" or a "bad dream". I really don't buy it. He's healthy and frankly, I don't think he has that many bad dreams. So I told him that from now on when he sleeps in one of our beds, he can't use electronics the next day. So far in the week I have implemented it, he has only slept with Tim 1 night and not at all with me!

We are going to be implementing a couple of other strategies and hopefully they will be as successful! If you are having problems with your kids, big or small, I think this book is worth a read.

1 comment:

++MIRA++ said...

thats a good idea. i should let my brother in law know about it. their 3 year old has been sleeping in their bed sinc the day he was born! tsk tsk...